Leadership Washington Focus
Leadership Washington Focus (LWF) is a 4-H leadership program for youth entering grades 7 through 9. The program will take place at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center, just 1 mile from the Washington, D.C. border. For more than 50 years, thousands of 4-H’ers have participated in our high school program, Citizenship Washington Focus and now we are happy to introduce its precursor for middle school 4-H'ers, LWF. Middle school 4-H delegates will:
- Build confidence in their ability to motivate and direct others in meaningful action
- Practice effective communication with others through group discussion and public speaking
- Work with others to create and accomplish goals
- Develop an understanding of their own personal leadership style
- Exchange ideas, practice respect, and form friendships with other 4-H'ersfrom across the nation.
- Experience hands-on learning using the historical backdrop of Washington, D.C.
Tuition costs for Leadership Washington Focus is $582.00 (inclusive of tax); tuition includes:
Receive 1 free chaperone for every 8 delegates when signed contract and 25% deposit received by October 1, 2014
Receive 1 free chaperone for every 16 delegates when signed contract and 25% deposit received by December 1, 2014
- Lodging at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center for the duration of the program
- All meals during the program
- All site visits during the program
- Transportation during the program (this does not include travel to or from the Center)
- Souvenir pack including: LWF bag, LWF T-shirt, and LWF water bottle
Led by our team of program assistants, delegates will learn by doing and leave LWF with the experiences, tools, and connections to be leaders in their communities today.
Participants will enjoy:
- Motivational speakers and educational workshops that increase individual leadership capability and build lifetime skills for success
- Activities that encourage and form new lasting friendships with other 4-H youth
- An enthusiastic staff of young adults that work directly with them
Participants are immersed in the culture and history of our nation through on-site workshops at D.C.’s most spectacular sights.
Destinations include, but are not limited to:
- White House and Lafayette Park
- Ford's Theatre
- National Archives
- Presidential and war monuments and memorials
- Smithsonian museums
- and more!
One of the week’s signature events, called “Nightview,” is a spectacular evening tour where delegates will reflect on the different types of leadership conveyed through the symbolism of our national monuments and memorials.
In between tours, youth can relax at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center, Washington, D.C.’s premier youth and leadership hotel . The hotel is situated on a 12-acre campus, minutes from downtown D.C., featuring a hotel café all-you-can eat buffet, 24-hour uniformed security, a fitness center, full-court basketball and volleyball court, recreation room with pool tables and arcade games, free parking, and more.
*Some aspects of the program are subject to change.